One of the main compliments I get is that I am one organised cookie. I always tell my children “Don’t organise the organiser”.
As a business owner, virtual assistant, mother and wife, I need to be organised and have some very basic ways of achieving this. So basic that I want to share with you all in the hope that you too can conquer organisation!
- I make a habit of checking my emails 3 times a day – morning, mid afternoon and evening. I enter this into my calendar as “Email Management”. With technology everywhere we look these days, we tend to constantly be checking and responding to emails, social media alerts, etc. This eats up so much of our time, so limiting your email time to just 3 times a day will help you get balance in your day and be more productive.
- Another thing I stick by is allocating 30 min each morning to work on my business. I call this “Admin time”. This varies depending on the day, however it is used for writing blogs, setting up my social media for the following week, invoicing, chasing overdue client payments, research, updating my website, interviewing potential team members, etc. I do this back to back with my email checks of a morning and do this before I start any client work so I am clear headed and focused on what I need to do for my business.
- I also enter client work time into my calendar – this is active time throughout the day when I work solely on client work. I schedule each client into certain times of the day so they have a constant flow of work from me. This allows me to focus on one client at a time and not over commit.
- I make Fridays my fun days by cranking up the tunes on Fridays. I found music motivates me so much and gets me mentally ready for the weekend, helps me switch off over the weekend so I can focus on my family and myself. I also find because I am feeling motivated I pump through my work on Fridays which then helps my energy levels as I feel motivated and energised to take on the world!
- I always look at my calendar the week before so I know in my head what I have on and then ensure I look each day in my “Admin time” at what is on the next day so I am well prepared.
So, these are the things I do to try and balance out my workload so I am organised and in control of my business and most importantly, so I can organise my clients and be the best I can be.
Bringing balance to your life!